Tuesday 18 March 2014

Kimi Nichols - well and truly live and unplugged

It probably won't surprise you to know that I've loved books my entire life. I remember the essential library trip a few days before a family holiday, where I'd pick out twelve books to take away with me, then read the entire journey down to Cornwall. When we'd arrived I'd line those jewels of imagination out on the bedside table in the order I'd read them. I loved it. Still do.

It pains me sometimes to see how different life has become for kids since the explosion of technology. For me, growing up, life was about books, art, imaginary play outside and writing stories. Sure, I watched TV, and I enjoyed TV, but that isn't how I remember spending the majority of my time, not by a long shot.

Now you have games consoles, the internet, tablets, phones, Skype, on demand TV. The world has become virtual, and I worry that children have become virtual with it. Why use your imagination if you have a million virtual streams of communication and time-fillers attacking your senses every five seconds?

So when I find gems like the Kimi books by John Hudspith I feel the need to shout about it from the rooftops. Not only are these books fantastic for adults - yes, that's you, read them! They are doorways to an imaginary world so vast, so rich and so colourful that every child should step foot inside. 

I finished up Kimi's Fear, the sequel to Kimi's Secret, this weekend. There is a phrase I've learnt lately (thanks to social media) called the 'book hangover' and boy did I have one. The book was incredible, and it was deep. Not so deep that you don't get whooshed along by the breathtaking storyline, the action, the characters, the crazy world that Kimi Nichols inhabits, but deep all the same.

It's a story of bravery and responsibility. How many children have the fate of the world on their shoulders? How many children have alien bounty hunters after the treasures in their brain? How many children confront their greatest fear and poke it in the eye? It's an inspirational tale, and it's all the more exciting for it.

Another really interesting thing about Kimi's Fear is the genre mash-up. Kimi's Secret saw the scene firmly set in the realms of fantasy, and it was brilliant for it. In Kimi's Fear, however, there is an addition, and it works. Elements of the paranormal weave in and around the main fantasy plotline, creating a fantasy-mythological-ethereal hybrid. It's clever, and it's different. I think it adds a whole other level of awesome to the book, and makes it that little bit more WOW.

An example of this mash-up is to be found at the height of the action. If you've read Kimi's Secret you will know that crows are an iconic piece of imagery associated with the book. That continues over into Kimi's Fear but this time it all gets a lot bigger. As Kimi's quest reaches its peak she needs some help. That help comes from the demon figure Malphas - a mythological crow-man (you can even look him up on Wikipedia). It's this kind of crossover that helps the book, in my opinion, build on Kimi's Secret and turn into something bigger, better, bolder.

Greylians, flying mice, God, Her Royal Highness, a bogey monster made up of gloved hands, dodos, crows and time travel. Yes, they all have a place in this fantastic story.

It's not a churchy book, Heaven forbid, but there is an excellent undertone to the book that I believe all children (yes, and adults) would benefit from. God, in this story, is brilliant. He's wise, he's funny, he's pretty damn cool. I have to rein myself in for fear of spoilers, but I loved it. Not only that, but the essence of the book is one of learning to face your fears, and Kimi is a role model to us all, not just those of us who haven't reached adulthood. I sure wish I had a dose of Kimi courage sometimes.

This book made me turn the pages like an egg timer was counting down in front of me, it made me laugh, it made me draw breath, it made me gawp at the clever little twists and turns. Surely this is a critical part of being a child? This kind of involuntary pull into an imaginary world?

John Hudspith tells the story of Kimi excellently. Hell, I wish I'd have had him around as a storyteller when I was growing up. He pitches his stories with just the right amount of 'ewww, gross', and just the right amount of scary. His words conjure up the magical. His words jump from the page with their vibrancy. In a word, he's awesome.

In a world where we are all plugged in to the virtual torrent of data, the Kimi books are a cool fresh breeze on a dusty day. It's that moment you step outside into glorious sunshine after a long, grey winter. Amazing. Read them! Buy them for your kids, buy them for your friends' kids, buy them for anyone's kids, but also buy them for you. That's how I feel about them.

I'm now desperate for a Kimi 3. Please be a Kimi 3, please, please. An adolescent Kimi plunged back into the world of Heart... there will be more greylians... and more famoose... oooh, and more Perry, and, and...

You get it, I'm sure. I'll stop gushing now and plug myself back into the virtual gush of communication.

About Kimi's Secret:

'With a deformed hand, an affection for animal skulls, and a soft spot for Marmite, Kimi always knew she was different - but never how much until she’s thrown into the supernatural dimension of Heart, given powers beyond comprehension, a mission to alter the past, and a secret which must never be revealed.'

Amazon UK: Kimi's Secret

Amazon US: Kimi's Secret

About Kimi's Fear:

'Kimi’s secret is out – her brain is the key to successful time travel - and a ruthless greylian bounty hunter will break every bone in her body to get at it. As if that isn’t bad enough, the best looking boy in the world turns into a cannibal intent on devouring every last bit of her. Sometimes life really does suck.

Can Kimi thwart the bounty hunter, kill the boy of her dreams to save her own life, tame her greatest fear and keep herself from becoming greylian toast? Not without help.

Tulpa Bentley returns with old favourites the famoose, Big Sue the giant with OCD, madcap mentor Stella, and chief of fuzz the monkey Rehd along with a whole host of new crazies in an adventure bigger and bolder than before.'

Amazon UK: Kimi's Fear

Amazon US: Kimi's Fear

About John Hudspith: www.johnhudspith.co.uk





2 comments:

  1. I worry about the same thing. I know my kids don't read as much as I did as a child, but they do read, and I think a lot of that has to do with the shelves of books in the living room. They invite the kids to pick them up. I really worry for the families where the parents no longer read books, and they grow up in a house where the only stimulation runs on batteries. As for the Kimi books, they rock! I've read them both, and John Hudspith has created fantastic, believable worlds. Great fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a wonderful review, Jessica. And thank you, Lisa.

      Delete